Wednesday, April 28, 2010

hats off to no hair....

Wednesday today.  Prosthetics class.  It's a funny one.  Prosthetics class.  I feel like I learn so much, perhaps because everything I am doing is new to me, however, I also feel like I am sitting still and doing nothing for much of the class.  We were warned of this in interviews.  That some classes consist of a lot of waiting.  Waiting for latex to dry, glatzan to dry, prosthetic pieces to set and plaster to dry.  Waiting, waiting, waiting.

Today I waited through an instruction video that was likely filmed the year I was born, worked and then waited until long after the silent school bells rang as someone else did their work.   I didn't mind too much though as I, once again, was learning something new.  How to apply a bald cap.

We had manufactured latex bald caps last week and this week we were to apply them.  Going through step by step, I was much more pleased with my politely pressed down edges than I had been with my first latex appliances.  For my first go, I was more than impressed with myself although I did come up against a few set backs, I snipped, pulled and set my bald cap as best I could before I painted, powdered and... portraited? Yes, I took a picture.

Having a blad cap applied to me was relaxing and felt almost like a scalp massage.  I just sat back, read a copy of Makeup Artist Magazine and listened to everyone complain how embarrassing the whole experience was.  Taking off the bald cap, however, was the least exciting part of the overall experience as, after dousing myself with MME and having a 3 hair wash shower, I still have bits of latex stuck in my hair and sticky reside making a home on my roots.



Perhaps my hair will be nice and clean for next Wednesdays class of face casting......

No comments:

Post a Comment